Thursday 7 April 2011

ROONEY RANT SHOULD HAVE GONE UNPUNISHED

So Wayne Rooney stepped back into the spotlight last night by scoring the winning goal against Chelsea in the Champions League Quarter Final first leg, however this morning he learnt his fate after his foul mouthed rant to a camera in Saturdays 4-2 win at West Ham. But was the decision to ban the striker for two games correct?

In my opinion the answer to that question is no. I firmly agree that Rooney was in the wrong to run to the camera and deliver his unwelcome speech to many fans and critics that were watching, however I feel a large fine would have been sufficient punishment for the striker.

There are of course those that will argue that fining a player that earns almost a million pound a month is not harsh enough, my argument back is that swearing in football is rife and should two game bans be dished out everytime someone swears then almost all fixtures at the weekend wouldn't take place because no team would have any players to play.

As mentioned before, swearing happens in football and you will struggle to rid it from the game, in fact watching the game last night after the referee didn't give Chelsea a stonewall penalty, Lampard, Terry and Torres all surrounded the referee and swearing took place- Will they now get banned? NO

I also disagree with this theory that because Wayne Rooney swore, thousends of kids will be tearing up and down streets swearing- again I dont think so. Maybe just me but I would like to think that I am sensible enough to make my own decisions and should Wayne Rooney jump of the cliffs of Dover tomorrow I wouldn't be rushing there to follow him off just because he had done it.

By making this decision to ban Rooney I feel the FA are trying to stamp out something that you never will and they are also trying to take passion out of the game. If your going to ban Rooney, I await next Monday after the weekends fixtures to see how many players will be standing at the FA headquarters recieving a two game ban for swearing.

2 comments:

  1. The problem is the referees. If they were to apply the Laws correctly, then players would know not to swear, or else they'd be sent off. Unfortunately, thanks to FIFA/UEFA/the FA not wanting to have any of their biggest names going for an early bath for fear of upsetting the sponsors, they give the referees directives to let it go unpunished.

    Simple answer: make Clive Thomas FIFA president :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I disagree. Yes, swearing during a match is rife, and is just the players showing their passion and although it is not ideal, it happens. But Wayne Rooney, looked at the camera and spotted his opportunity and DELIBERATELY shouted into it. That kind of blatant disregard for live broadcasting shouldn't go unpunished.
    I've also done a post on this, if you could read that I'd very much appreciate it :) xx

    ReplyDelete