Tuesday 12 July 2011

Modric running out of Luka over move to Chelsea, but should he be allowed to go?

In all honesty I surprised myself when I sat and thought about this earlier today. Usually in these cases when I hear of a player demanding a move away from one club to another it makes me angry and I say that the player should 'stop moaning' and 'get on with there X amount thousands of pounds a week job', today was different though.

After seeing further coverage of the saga of Luka Modric's desire to leave Tottenham for Chelsea, I sat and thought why he would want to leave his contract at Spurs where he is a certain starter in the team, he has been offered a contract that will double his wages to £90,000 a week and before stating his desire to leave a few weeks back he was a fans favorite at White Hart Lane.
Then it became obvious to me for once why a player would want to leave, he will get more money at Chelsea, reported to be around £120,000 pounds a week, he will be playing at a club in the Champions league year after year, and playing at a team that will push Manchester United for the title in years to come....Is that really selfish of him?

My old answer would have been yes, I would have argued that Spurs had made him what he was and he should respect them and their decision. But today I saw it in a new angle, here is a player that has a chance to earn more money and more personal trophies, realistically something we all aspire to do in our lifetime.
A long way off from football wages I know, but if I was working at my local newspaper and a national paper wanted me to work for them and doubled my wages, I would not expect my employers to say no and not congratulate me on the move.

The point I am getting at is that a footballers career is 20 years maximum and as fans I don't think we should dislike a player simply because he wants to better himself and his earnings.

I fully hope Modric gets his move to Chelsea in the future and that players in the future that want to better themselves given the opportunity are not held back by clubs....after all we all want to be the best we can be.

Do you agree? Do you think Modric should het his 'dream' move to Chelsea? How would you feel if your star player said he wants a move?

As always let me know.


3 comments:

  1. Its true, if a player wants to go he should go. Do you feel the same way about Nasri to Man City though? Could be the same situation as Liverpool and City could well make up the top 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I think there is a distinct difference of a player wanting to better themselves and then there is trying to better your salary. In Nasri's case, yeah I think he should be able to go to City should he wish because realistically City will more than likely win more trophies than Arsenal over the next few seasons.
    The cases that I don't like are that of Carlos Tevez when he moved to City from United, that was simply money as United are a bigger club than City and will always be challenging for the Premier League where as when Tevez moved to City, they wasn't even playing Champions League football.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WELL i think that it's too much money anyway but i'd still go there for a slice of it, who cares who they play for. thanks and goodbye.

    ReplyDelete